My Dad and Memory of World War II
This is for and from my dad, Frank Osalvo, and his thoughts one day on his service in the European Front. Dad shared this message in the 1980's as he passed in 1982.
He said that he was fixing gravy in a kitchen that had been messed up by the chef while a General's assistant was with them in the kitchen. Dad fixed the gravy and he was later taken to a General and became the chef for Eisenhower, Patton, Montgomery and others. This happened, I am thinking, in Europe. He became a Sargent and had a cooking crew working for him. Dad said, Patton had pearl-handled guns and was larger than life. I believe he referred to Ike as being a very nice man.
Dad said while in London, he remembered that there were many bars, people drank and fought a lot, and much rain and fog. That they were V-bombed constantly and they would rush down into basements when the sirens blasted.
Dad was there for D-Day and was quiet about that.
He received a Bronze Star, he had a jeep and interpreter, and was getting fresh foods for not just the Generals but also for the Troops in battle zones.
There was a story he related as an aside, he had keys to the Generals spirits (BOOZE). A Lieutenant had ordered my dad to give him the keys which he refused, and was called a monkey and other slurrs.
The next day, one of the Generals noticed my dad was not quite himself but my dad said he was fine. The General ordered him to tell them what had happened.
The jackass that harassed my dad was broken down in rank and put to work peeling potatoes and onions under my dad.
Dad said as they drove into Berlin, there were bodies everywhere on the road and he remembered being stunned by what he saw ahead. This really affected him….
Image result for concentration camps photos
At this point, my dad had a faraway look on his face and said, they had arrived at a concentration camp (not sure which one). Dad told me, “no sucha thing." I know this meant what he had experienced was unbelievable! He said people,.…and became very quiet…he said they gave them whatever they had, chocolate, food, clothes, and again anything….my dad was not overtly emotional but I had never seen such a look of sadness on his face…and I just sat there with him quietly…
Dad said when they reached Berlin it was bombed to devastation and yet they found underground levels, with food, arms, and ammunition that had been untouched….
That was the only time he ever talked about the war with me, and sometimes I think he just wanted me to know ….
He was in the 6th Army, and was one of the Bantay Boys who had served in World War II; had come from the Philippine Islands back in the 1920's to America, and that's another story….